Please read the following information for how to help reduce the effect of flooding or what action to take if it happens.
How to reduce the effects of flooding
- Sand bags / flood sacks and door guards can be fitted to external doors to hold back low levels of water.
- Cover air bricks with airtight covers before an expected flood (remove immediately after waters subside to aid drying of your property).
- Fit non return valves to all drains and water inlet pipes.
- Move electrical goods, valuables and irreplaceable items where possible to a higher level.
- Turn off gas, electricity and water at the mains supply.
What to do if you have been affected by flooding
- Most policies will cover the cost of alternative accommodation (up to a specified limit) if you need to move out of your home while it is being repaired.
- Inform your insurance company of where to contact you if you have had to move out of your home.
- Do not use electricity or water supplies until the all clear is given, do not eat food the flood water has reached.
- Do not throw away damaged items until the damage has been inspected.
- Do not lift wet carpets, wait for advice from your loss adjuster.
- Do not turn on water, gas or electricity supplies until you have contacted your water, gas and electricity companies. Have your electrics checked and clean taps and leave water to run for a few minutes before use.
- If necessary arrange for temporary repairs to be carried out to stop any damage getting worse. Keep receipts, as these will be needed for your insurance claim.
- Where there has been flooding, disinfect floors and furnishings. Where practical, leave doors, windows and cupboards open. If possible, keep rooms heated.
- It may take some time for the property to fully dry out therefore you should wait before redecorating.
- Comprehensive motor insurance will cover damage caused to vehicles.
For further information regarding flooding visit the environmental agency website.
If you are an M&S Home Insurance customer who is affected by flooding please view our Existing Customer page for how to contact us.