Apply for a personal loan
It only takes a few minutes to apply for a personal loan. Before you start, please look at the What you should know before you apply section below.
What you should know before you apply
Are you eligible?
To apply for an M&S Loan, you must have an annual income of at least £10,000, be a UK resident and be aged 18 or over.
What you'll be asked for
- Your income and employment details
- The account number and sort code of your bank or building society
- Details of your monthly outgoings
- An email address
- Your previous address, if you've lived at your current address for less than 3 years
Change in circumstances
As a responsible lender we work with you to ensure you can afford your borrowing over the whole Loan term.
If you can foresee changes in your circumstances that may increase your outgoings or reduce your disposable income then please contact our Customer Services team on 0800 363 400 to apply. Changes to consider are:
- Employment situation changes; imminent retirement, maternity, paternity or extended leave.
- Reduction in working hours; fixed contracts end dates or zero hour contracts.
- Increase in living costs; rent or mortgage repayments.
Debt consolidation considerations
- If you are using any part of this loan to pay off or reduce existing loan(s)/debts (including combining these into a single loan), it is important to consider not just the interest rate and monthly repayments, but also the term of this loan compared to the remaining term of your existing loans/debts.
- Spreading your payments over a longer term means you could end up paying more overall than under your existing arrangements, even if the interest rate on this new loan is less than the rates you are currently paying.
- You should also consider if any early repayment charges apply and if this form of borrowing is appropriate for your circumstances.
It is important that you read and understand the following document before you apply
You may require Adobe PDF reader to view these documents.
Interest will be charged throughout the full loan term, including the optional deferred period.
Checking your details
When we check your details with a credit reference agency, a search/enquiry is registered to say that you've applied for credit today. As part of our checks, we link your name with individuals associated with you financially, and any previous names you've provided. The credit reference agencies will record details of your application which will form part of your credit history whether or not you proceed, and if you make several applications for credit within a short period of time, this may temporarily affect your ability to obtain credit.
We'll also check your details with a fraud prevention agency to prevent fraud and money laundering. If you've provided false or inaccurate information (and fraud is identified) we'll pass your details to fraud prevention agencies. If you want, we can explain how your information held by fraud prevention and credit reference agencies may be used.
Credit and interest rates
Credit is subject to status. The rate we offer will depend on our assessment of your circumstances.
Payment protection insurance
When borrowing with an M&S Personal Loan you should consider your ability to maintain the monthly repayments should your circumstances change.
M&S Bank does not currently sell payment protection insurance to protect you in the event of unemployment, sickness or accident. However, there are products in the market that will do this and insurers who sell this cover.
Customers who already have a policy with M&S can still claim – please call us on 0345 900 0900 or contact us online for a claim form.
You can find useful information on the Money Advice Service website including information about payment protection insurance.
Calls are recorded.