Making a complaint
How we handle complaints
If you contact us with a complaint we'll do our best to resolve it immediately. If this isn't possible, we'll write to you within 5 working days. And, if we need more time to investigate, we'll send you an update within 4 weeks.
If you're still not satisfied, or it takes more than 8 weeks to resolve your complaint, you can take your case to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
See how well we're dealing with customer complaints
At M&S Bank, we’ve always worked hard to exceed our customers' expectations. We know we don't always get things right; that’s why customer feedback is so important. It gives us insight into the areas where we need to improve.
What matters is to fix the right things - those things that matter most to our customers. So, through our customer surveys and social media pages, please keep letting us know how we’re doing. We’ll continue to improve what we do, so that we deliver an excellent service we can be proud of.
In 2015 our key priorities will continue to be:
- Listening to our customers through their direct feedback and responses to customer surveys.
- Working on the root causes of complaints and the individual outcomes for our customers, so issues can be fixed properly first time.
- Looking at all the different interactions customers have with us, so we can make the whole banking experience better.
- Simplifying our products and services and the processes behind them.
So you can see how we are doing, we've provided a summary of our complaints data for the first half of 2015.
Firm name: Marks & Spencer Financial Services Plc
Group: HSBC Group
Period covered: 1 January - 30 June 2015
Trading names covered: M&S Money, M&S Bank, M&S Insurance, M&S Savings and Investments
|Product / Service Group||Number of complaints opened||Number of complaints closed||Complaints closed within 8 weeks||Closed complaints upheld by firm*|
|General Insurance and Pure Protection||11,775||11,065||99.95%||62.28%|
|Decumulation, Life and Pensions||n/a||n/a||n/a||n/a|
- Banking: We have 1.5 opened complaints per 1,000 relevant banking accounts. We closed 4,381 complaints.
- General Insurance and Pure Protection: We have 0.91 opened complaints per 1,000 general insurance and pure protection products. This excludes complaints relating to payment protection insurance which M&S Bank stopped selling in April 2008. With PPI complaints included, we received 22.29 complaints per 1,000 relevant products.**
- Investments: We have 0 opened complaints per 1,000 investment products. We closed 0 complaints.
In the first six months of 2015, we also opened 24 complaints relating to Marks and Spencer Unit Trust Management Ltd and 2 complaints relating to Marks and Spencer Savings and Investments Ltd.
Financial Ombudsman Service
If you wish to, you should contact the Financial Ombudsman Service within six months of the date on our final letter to you.
Call 0800 023 4567. Calls to this number are normally free for people phoning from a ’fixed line‘ phone - but charges may apply if you call from a mobile phone.
Or 0300 123 9123. Calls to this number are charged at the same rate as 01 or 02 numbers on mobile phone tariffs.
These numbers may not be available from outside the UK - so please call us from abroad on +44 20 7964 0500.
Write to the Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR.
Financial Conduct Authority (FCA)
For further information and published complaints data visit the FCA website.
* Complaints upheld by firm refers to the percentage of complaints the bank has found in the customer's favour either in whole or part.
**Complaints within the General Insurance and Pure Protection category relate to the average number of policies in place in the reporting period. In line with industry practice, the number of open and closed complaints do not include complaints from customers who had not purchased the product.