Query a transaction or raise a dispute

Please read the important information before getting in touch

Please note

As we support customers financially impacted by Covid-19 we are receiving higher than normal claims. We will respond to you within 60 days of receipt.

In most cases you will need to contact the retailer in the first instance.

Credit balance refund

You can get a refund once the refund is showing on your statement balance. We would ask that you monitor your account online, if you're registered. Once the refund is showing, call us on 0345 600 5860 and we'll arrange this for you. There is no charge to do this.

Watch our short video that explains how to raise an unrecognised or disputed transaction on your M&S Credit Card.

Video script - Disputing a Transaction

Disputing a Transaction

How to raise an unrecognised or disputed transaction on your M&S Credit Card.

There are some possible explanations available on our website to help you identify a transaction you don’t recognise. If this does not help, please contact us so we can investigate.

For disputed transactions, in most cases you’ll first need to attempt to contact the retailer directly to see if they can resolve the issue.

Be sure to keep a record of your correspondence with the retailer as we will ask you to share this with us to support your claim.

If you don’t receive a satisfactory resolution, you will need to complete a dispute declaration form. You can find forms for common issues, such as travel cancellation, on the disputes page of our website.

For other issues, please call us on 0345 600 5860. We will go through some questions with you and look into raising a dispute to recover your money. This is called a Chargeback. We will then send a form via email or post for you to complete.

When completing the digital form, the key information needed to support your Chargeback is indicated by a red asterisk. Once you have completed all of these sections, you will be able to submit the form to us.

Once we receive the form, our dedicated team will review your case. We will be in touch if we need any additional information to support your claim by calling or sending a card dispute additional evidence form by post or email.

Once the dispute is raised, the retailer has the opportunity to review the claim. It may take up to 60 days to update you on the outcome.

Whilst we await a response, we will provide a temporary credit to your account for the disputed amount. If, after 60 days, the retailer doesn’t dispute the claim, the case can be closed and the credit permanently remains.

If the retailer disputes the claim, we will we will contact you to advise on next steps and any additional information we may need.

If we are unable to recover your money via the Chargeback process, you may be covered under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. One of our team will be in touch to discuss this further.

I recognise a transaction, but wish to dispute it with another reason

First steps

In most cases you will need to try and solve the problem by first contacting the retailer. If you are then unsuccessful, you can contact us by calling 0345 600 5860.

Credit or debit card


A chargeback is a way for M&S Bank to dispute transactions on your behalf in the event something goes wrong with a purchase of goods or services. Internet Banking users can send a secure message using the secure messaging facility in Internet Banking.

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act

In some cases you may have protection under section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. This will apply where the transaction was made wholly or in part on a M&S Bank Credit Card and your dispute is related to one of the following:

  • Where the contract is over £100 (and up to £30,000)
  • A breach of contract by the retailer (e.g. non-receipt of goods/services or goods that do not match the description of what you ordered)
  • Misrepresentation by the retailer (e.g. the retailer made false promises to get you to purchase their goods or service)

If your dispute is within the above criteria and is unsuccessful, we will automatically review for a section 75 claim and may be in contact again if we need any further information.

I have a travel related dispute

Take a look at our general guidelines relating to travel plans affected by COVID-19

Am I entitled to claim money back if I haven’t received goods or services (e.g. travel costs) as a result of Covid-19?

Customers are advised to contact the retailer where you have purchased the goods or services in the first instance (e.g. the airline if you have purchased airline tickets, hotel booking etc).

You should attempt to resolve the matter with them directly as they will help you understand why you haven’t received the goods or services. This may result in a refund or offer of an acceptable alternative such as booking for an alternative date or credit vouchers.

If you haven’t been able to obtain a refund from the retailer, you should contact us to query the transaction or raise a dispute. It may be possible to raise a dispute or claim under section 75.

We can only raise a claim on the following basis:

Has the travel date passed, or do you have proof that the travel arrangements have been cancelled by the retailer?

Yes No