Car insurance

Personal claims manager to keep you informed and help ensure everything runs smoothly

  • Uninsured driver protection so you're not out of pocket if you're hit by a driver without insurance
  • Guaranteed replacement car with premier cover
  • Premier or standard - Choose the cover that's right for you

Get a quote

Arranged and administered by BISL Limited using a panel of insurers. Terms and conditions apply

Features and benefits

Personal claims manager

No matter the level of cover you choose, if you make a claim, it will be handled by your very own personal claims manager to help ensure everything runs smoothly, delivering the type of service you'd expect from M&S Bank.Footnote 1**

Uninsured driver protection

It is reassuring to know that you can recover your excess even if you're hit by an uninsured driver.

Full details including vehicle registration, the make/model of the vehicle; and the driver’s details must be provided.

Guaranteed replacement car with premier cover

If you can't drive your car after an accident, fire or theft, we'll give you a hire car for up to 28 days (subject to eligibility),*** and then a courtesy car after that if required (subject to availability).

Guaranteed replacement car cover options can be added to standard policies.

Child car seat cover

Child car seat cover

Up to £150 per seat for replacement child seats, damaged or not, following an accident.

Personal accident cover - for peace of mind

If you or your spouse is injured in a car accident, you could claim up to £10,000 (comprehensive cover only). ****

£100,000 legal protection with premier cover

If you're in a car accident that's not your fault, your policy provides legal expenses to help you and your passengers claim for uninsured losses. Your legal fees will be taken care of, up to a limit of £100,000. There must be a reasonable chance of case success.

Breakdown cover included with premier cover

RAC European and UK breakdown cover is included, covering you even if you're a passenger in another car. Optional levels of breakdown cover can be added to standard policies (covers your vehicle only). The cost of parts, fuel or other supplies are excluded.

Driving abroad?

Going on holiday? With M&S Car Insurance, get up to 90 days’ cover, to the same level as your UK policy, whilst you are using the car within the countries referred to in your policy documents.

Quality repairs

If your car is damaged and you need to make a claim, arrangements will be made for it to go to a nationwide approved repair centre, with a 3 year guarantee on all replacement parts and repairs.

**If M&S Car Insurance are dealing with your claim, your personal claims manager will be your main point of contact throughout. If your policy underwriter is dealing with your claim, your personal claims manager will be here for you if you need help.

***A hire vehicle will not be provided when a courtesy car is made available to you.

****The insurer will only pay these amounts if the cause of death or injury is an accident involving a vehicle.


How do I make a claim?

If you need to make a claim, you should call 0344 412 2160 as soon as possible. The Claims team is here to help you 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Make sure you've got your policy number to hand when you call.

Can someone else drive my car for a short period?

Your policy only covers the named drivers listed in section 5 of your Certificate of Motor Insurance. If anyone else drives your car, including members of your family or someone living with you, your car won't be covered. If you want to let someone else drive your car for a short period, you may be able to add them to your policy as a temporary driver for up to 14 days. To extend this period, you can add the same person as a temporary driver again. Even if your policy only covers you for private use and commuting, a temporary driver can also be covered for business use, as long as this is linked to the main drivers business.

An administration fee will also apply in addition to this premium. To add a temporary driver call the customer services team on 0344 412 2157. Lines are open 8am-8pm Monday to Friday, 8am-6pm Saturday, 10am-4pm Sunday and 9am-5pm bank holidays. Make sure you've got your policy details to hand when you call. 03 numbers are charged at the same rate as a standard 01 or 02 landline number, even when calling from a mobile. Calls to 03 numbers will normally be part of any inclusive minutes provided with phone packages. You should check this with your service provider.

I would like to use my insured car to transport goods within UK to aid the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine. Do I need to make changes to my policy?

No, you do not need to inform us and will continue to be covered.

I would like to use my insured car within the European Economic Area to aid the humanitarian crisis in Ukraine. Do I need to contact my insurer and make changes to my policy?

No, our motor insurance policy will provide, at minimum, third party liability coverage for the duration of the insurance policy. However, we encourage you to check your policy documents carefully for limits of coverage and policy exclusions. In addition, we encourage you to familiarise yourself with regulations around the cross-border transport of goods and abide by any travel advice issued by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office.

Am I allowed to drive in Ukraine when providing aid for the humanitarian crisis?

No, cover does not include driving in the Ukraine. You should also be aware that damage or injury caused by war, conflicts or similar events is common exclusion in motor insurance policies.

Thinking about buying an electric car?

Learn the financial, practical and performance considerations when owning a electric car.

Premier or standard car insurance cover?

Choose the right cover for you

Premier cover

With premier cover you get additional benefits worth over £478Footnote 4††

These include:

  • European and UK breakdown cover, worth £429.74Footnote 4††. As it covers you, not just your vehicle, we'll keep you on the road even if you're a passenger in another car.
  • Use of a guaranteed replacement car for up to 28 days after an accident, fire or theft (subject to eligibility) worth £21.24Footnote 4††.
  • Up to £100,000 motor legal protection to help you claim for uninsured losses, worth £27.79Footnote 4††.

Standard cover

If you don't need all these benefits, you can keep the cost of your insurance down by choosing standard cover which comes with:

  • Uninsured driver protection – so you're covered if you're hit by someone else without insurance. You will need to provide a minimum of the make, model, and registration number of the vehicle involved, and the driver’s details.
  • 3 year guarantee on repairs carried out by our approved repairers.
  • Child seat cover – replacement child seat (up to £150) after an accident.
  • £200 personal belongings cover.

You can also add some of the benefits included with premier as optional extras. In some instances it could cost you less to upgrade to premier.

Compare comprehensive premier and standard cover

Cover benefits Premier cover Standard cover
Breakdown cover Included - European and UK cover. Also covers you as a passenger in another car. Optional - four levels available covering your vehicle only.
Uninsured driver protection Included Included
Motor legal protection Included Optional
Guaranteed replacement car - subject to eligibility Included - 28 days Optional - 14, 21 or 28 days
Courtesy car - subject to availability Included Included
European travel - unlimited trips up to 90 days per cover period Included Included
Loss, theft, damage and destruction of vehicle Included Included
Loss, theft, damage to personal property in vehicle Included Included
Personal accident cover for you and your spouse - up to £10,000 Included Included
Child seat cover up to £150 Included Included
Approved repairs guaranteed for 3 years Included Included
Claims line with personal claims manager Included Included

Footnote 3††[1][2][3][4] Motor legal protection is £27.79 and guaranteed replacement car is £21.24 based on 28 days, costs based on the add-on prices for M&S Car Insurance Standard Cover. Breakdown cover is provided by RAC for M&S Car Insurance customers, the equivalent cover is not available directly from The cost of the equivalent breakdown cover with the AA is £429.74 (this price is based on single personal level UK breakdown cover for £258 and all zones European breakdown cover of £171.74 (based on a Vauxhall Corsa, 2019, manual, petrol). All prices obtained 4 April 2024.

Terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations apply and a copy of the full policy wording and complaints procedure is available on request.

Get a quotefor M&S Car Insurance

or call

Apply over the phone:0330 018 0929

Lines are open Monday to Friday: 8am-8pm Saturday: 8am-6pm Sunday: 10am-4pm and 9am-5pm bank holidays. Calls are recorded.