Buildings insurance

No one likes nasty surprises. That’s why we do all we can to make sure our homes are as safe as houses. But while fitting smoke detectors and burglar alarms gives us some peace of mind, some of life’s mishaps are unavoidable.

While coming home to find your floors flooded or your doors damaged from a break-in can be a shock, there are ways to lessen some of the financial worries and help you put things right again.

With the right buildings insurance policy in place, you don’t need to worry about covering costs if life throws a spanner in the works.

What is buildings insurance and why do I need it?

Buildings insurance covers the cost of damage to your property if the unexpected happens. Typically, buildings insurance covers everything that’s fixed in your home, such as the walls and ceilings, fitted kitchen and bathroom suites, windows, doors and fitted cupboards and wardrobes.

If you’re buying your home with a mortgage, buildings insurance is a must, as mortgage providers typically require buyers to have cover in place as a condition of taking out a mortgage. While you may have the option to purchase buildings insurance through your mortgage provider, this can be less cost-effective as the provider may charge you more for the ‘all in one’ convenience.

Why should I get home buildings insurance from M&S Bank?

All buildings insurance policies differ in what they offer and it’s important to find cover that suits your requirements. At M&S Bank some of the benefits we offer include:

  • A choice of premier or standard cover
  • Save 20% when buying a new policy online
  • Pay monthly at no extra cost
  • Flexible claim service
  • Alternative accommodation if you cannot live in your home
  • Cooling-off period. If you decide your insurance deal isn’t right for you, you can cancel it within 31 days of receiving your documentation – as long as you’re not part-way through a claim and have not received payment for a claim

What's covered in buildings insurance with M&S Bank?

We offer premier and standard buildings insurance which provide cover for loss or damage to your property. Our premier policy gives you extensive protection against higher damage costs – and extra peace of mind.

Premier buildings insurance from M&S Bank covers you for the following:

  • Unlimited buildings cover (inner limits apply)
  • Full accidental damage
  • Alternative accommodation for you, your family and pets if you have to move out following:
    • Insured damage
    • Evacuation because of health and safety risk

A standard buildings policy also covers you for evacuation because of health and safety risk and typically costs less; however, the cover levels are lower. Check out the policy summary for our premier and standard insurance to find out more about the benefits and limits, or compare them here.

Both premier and standard policies give you the option of extra protection by adding home emergency cover to your policy. This will give you protection against household emergencies such as plumbing problems caused by leaking pipes or your boiler breaking down. You can also add legal expenses cover worth up to £50,000.

M&S Bank Home Insurance can cover both your building and its contents, giving you twice the peace of mind. Find out more about our contents cover here.

Looking for a quote?

Getting a buildings insurance quote is straight forward; we only need a few details and you’ll have the option to spread the cost of your policy over 11 months at no extra cost.

Get a quote for M&S Travel Insurance

If you’re an existing customer, you can find out how to renew or change your policy, or make a claim by visiting our existing home insurance customer page.

M&S Home Insurance is underwritten by AXA Insurance UK plc. Terms and conditions apply.


How do I make a claim?

There are no claim forms to complete. Just call our 24 hour claims line on 0800 111 4901 – and our claims team will be happy to help you.

How can I pay?

You can pay by monthly instalments or in one annual premium.

Monthly instalments are paid by Direct Debit and there is no additional charge to pay this way. We will take the first two months' instalments by credit or debit card and the remaining amount will be paid in 10 monthly instalments by Direct Debit. When your policy becomes due for renewal we will continue to take payments by instalment unless you tell us otherwise.

You can make an annual payment each year by credit or debit card and to assist you at renewal we can automatically renew the policy by your chosen payment method to make sure you continue to be covered. Automatic renewal will continue unless you tell us otherwise.

Are there any charges to change or cancel my policy?

We don't charge a fee for mid-term changes but depending on the change there might be an additional premium to pay. To make sure that you have the right cover in place, please let us know of any changes that occur during the annual policy term.

If you wish to cancel the policy after the 31 days then a mid-term cancellation fee of £25 may be charged. If you wish to cancel before 31 days, there is no charge to do so.

What's a policy excess?

This is the amount of money you have to pay if you make a claim.

M&S Home Insurance has an excess of £100 on the buildings and contents sections, and you can choose to increase the excess and receive a discount to your premium.

If you make a claim that affects both the buildings and the contents, we will only apply a single excess to your claim, which will be the higher of the two if they are different. Please note that this excess does not apply to any buildings claim for subsidence, heave or landslip where an excess of £1,000 will apply. Also an excess of at least £250 will apply to escape of water claims, this will be increased if you have chosen a higher voluntary excess on buildings or contents.

How do I know how much to insure my home and contents for?

You will only need to give us a value for individual items of pedal cycles worth over £1,000 or the total amount of cover you will need for all the contents you may take out of your home.

Otherwise you just need to make sure that our cover limits are sufficient for you:


  • Buildings: unlimited
  • Contents: unlimited
  • Contents away from home: your choice up to a max total of £50,000
  • Total valuables in the home: £50,000
  • Single valuable items: £15,000
  • Data: £2,500
  • Property owners' and personal liability cover: £2m
  • Domestic employees' liability cover: £10m
  • Tenants' liability: £40,000


  • Buildings: £1m
  • Contents: £100,000
  • Contents away from home: your choice up to a max total of £25,000
  • Total valuables in the home: £25,000
  • Single valuable items: £10,000
  • Data: £2,500
  • Property owners' and personal liability cover: £2m
  • Domestic employees' liability cover: £10m
  • Tenants' liability: £40,000

Cover you can rely on

defaqto 2017 - 5 star - M&S Home Insurance

5 star home insurance rating