Converting pounds to South African rand
Taking a dream trip to South Africa? Blessed with beautiful white beaches, adventurous activity destinations and the ‘Big Five’ wild animals, there’s loads to do. Whether you’re treating your kids to a once-in-a-lifetime safari trip or sampling delicious Cape Town wine, at some point during your stay it’s likely that you’ll need to pay for something with South African currency.
At M&S Bank, we provide a quick, hassle-free travel money service to make pre-holiday prep a breeze. The best part? With your currency for South Africa sorted before you board the plane, your African adventure can begin as soon as you land.
Why buy South African rand from M&S Bank?
- Open every day of the week
- Buy South African rand online and collect in store
- M&S Bank cardholders benefit from exclusive exchange rates
- All M&S Credit Card, Chargecard and Budgetcard holders can order currency over the phone for home delivery
- Main M&S Credit Card, Chargecard and Budgetcard holders can buy South African rand (ZAR) online for home delivery
- We buy leftover currency back
How to change your pounds to rand
Organising your South African currency with M&S Bank is simple. You can either visit a bureau de change, Click & Collect in store, or get rand delivered to your home. And there’s no need to worry if you’re in a rush before you jet off – our bureau de change service is quick and hassle-free, so you can focus on the more fun parts of planning your trip to South Africa.
- Visit a bureau – You can find our bureaux de change in over 120 M&S stores nationwide. Many are open seven days a week late into the evening, so you can pick up your South African rand at a time that suits you.
- Buy online and collect from a bureau – Alternatively, you can order your rand online and collect in store using our Click & Collect service. Visit one of our 120 bureaux de change and your rand will be counted, packed and ready for you to take home – perfect if you’re short on time.
Don’t forget to bring the payment card and photographic ID you used to order if you use our Click & Collect service. Photographic ID is also needed if you buy in store. We accept a passport, English language photocard driving licence, a UK provisional driving licence, or EU identity card.
- Home delivery – If you have an M&S Credit Card, Budgetcard or Chargecard account, you can order between £100 and £2,500 worth of South African rand over the phone. If you are a main M&S Credit Card, Chargecard or Budgetcard holder, you can also buy rand online to be delivered to a home address.
If you order by 1pm, we’ll deliver it to your home the next working day.
To order rand over the phone, call 0800 363 484. Lines are open 24 hours a day. Calls are recorded.
We sell the following South African rand denominations (subject to availability): R 20, R 50, R 100 and R 200
Rand exchange rate
The exchange rate will differ depending on the day you purchase your currency. Find today’s South African rand exchange rate here, or use our currency converter.
If you’re an M&S Bank cardholder and buy your rand with your credit card, it’ll be treated as a standard purchase and we won’t charge you a cash advance fee. We like to offer our cardholders that purchase currency with an M&S Bank card our best exchange rates, too.
How to sell back South African currency
Returned home with spare rand notes? It won’t go to waste. We’ll buy it back off you, so you can treat yourself and beat those post-holiday blues.
- In store – Visit one of our 120 bureaux de change.
- By post – If you bought your ZAR online or over the phone for home delivery, you can use Royal Mail Special Delivery to send your leftover notes back to us.
We’ll refund your currency at the buy-back rate available that day. Find out more about how to change back your South African rand here.
M&S Travel Insurance is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited.