Buy US dollars
Planning a trip to the USA? Whether you’re sightseeing in Seattle, in Boston on business or grabbing a bargain in the Big Apple, there can be a lot to organise.
But in your rush to get ready for your American adventure, don’t forget to tick travel money off your pre-holiday to-do list. Although it can be tempting to leave it until you’ve touched down in the USA, queuing at a busy airport cash point will be the last thing you want to do after a long flight.
At M&S, we make it easy to buy US dollars before you fly, so your holiday can begin as soon as you step on the plane.
Why buy US dollars from M&S Bank?
- Open 7 days a week
- Reserve US dollars online or over the phone and collect in store
- Exclusive customer exchange rates for M&S Bank cardholders
- Buy US dollars online for home delivery if you’re a main M&S Credit Card, Chargecard or Budgetcard holder
- All M&S Credit Card, Chargecard and Budgetcard holders can order US dollars over the phone for home delivery
- We buy currency back
How to order US dollars
When you’re juggling work and family alongside your holiday prep, time is never on your side. Luckily, our bureau de change service is convenient and hassle-free, making it easy to order your currency (leaving you more time to daydream about your upcoming trip of a lifetime!)
- Visit a bureau – Our bureaux de change are present in over 120 M&S stores nationwide and many are open seven days a week late into the evening, making it easy to buy US dollars before you take off, no matter how busy your schedule.
- Reserve online and collect in store – Order your US dollars online using our Reserve & Collect service and collect it from one of our 120 bureaux de change. The currency you order will be counted, packed and ready to go.
Remember to bring photographic ID if you plan on buying your US dollars in store or through our Reserve & Collect service. We accept a passport, English language photocard driving licence, a UK provisional driving licence, or EU identity card.
- Home delivery – If you hold a main M&S Credit Card, Chargecard or Budgetcard, you can purchase between £100 and £2,500 of US dollars online. All M&S Credit Card, Chargecard and Budgetcard holders can order between £100 and £2,500 of US dollars over the phone for home delivery. And if you do so before 1pm, we’ll deliver it to your home the next working day – perfect if you’ve left things a little late…
To order US dollars over the phone, call 0800 363 484. Lines are open 24 hours a day. Calls are recorded.
We sell the following US dollar denominations (subject to availability):
$1, $5, $10, $20, $50, $100
US dollar exchange rate
If you’re an M&S Bank cardholder, our best exchange rates are reserved for you. You won't be charged a cash advance fee as your payment will be treated as a standard purchase.
Non M&S Bank cardholders can buy US dollars at our standard rate in any of our M&S Bureaux de Change.
How to sell back US dollars
Didn’t spend all your US dollars? Rather than a last-minute splurge on ‘I Heart NY’ tees and fridge magnet souvenirs, we’d be happy to buy your dollar notes back from you when you’re home. Then, with the cash back in your hand, you could treat yourself to something you really want, to combat the post-holiday blues.
- In store – Simply pop back to one of our bureaux de change and we’ll buy back any notes you haven’t used.
- By post – Did you purchase your US dollars online or over the phone? You can return your unused notes to us by Royal Mail Special Delivery.
We’ll refund them at the buy-back rate available that day. Find out more about how to change back your US dollars here.
Countries that accept US dollars
It’s not just the USA that uses the US dollar. Here are some other places that currently accept this currency:
American Samoa, Bermuda, British Indian Ocean Territory, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guam, Haiti, Northern Mariana Islands, Palau, Panama, Puerto Rico, Timor-Leste, Turks and Caicos Islands and the United States Minor Outlying Islands.
M&S Travel Money services offer not only dollars but many other currencies at competitive rates. If you’re planning a trip abroad you can buy your currency and your travel insurance policy from M&S Bank.
M&S Travel Insurance is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited.